This material is copyrighted. Except for your own private use, you may not copy or reproduce it in any way without express permission from Cascadia Training.
Fostering Change with Teens that have Co-occurring Disorders, Getting Unstuck
Presented and developed by David Flack, MA, LMHC, CDP
Teens with co-occurring disorders often seem stuck in endless cycles of maladaptive behaviors, experiencing multiple treatment failures and frustrating even the most dedicated professional helpers. These teens are likely to present as apathetic, ambivalent, or completely resistant. The truth, however, is much less pessimistic! These teens are stuck, and our role as therapists and counselors is to help them get unstuck. In this hands-on workshop, we will develop insight and skills to do just that, including:
- Explore the co-morbidity of substance use and mental health challenges among teens.
- Identify the most common mental health disorders among teens with substance-related problems.
- Deepen their understanding of the connection between trauma and substance use in adolescents.
- Develop practical clinical skills to increase engagement and improve outcomes with teens that have co-occurring disorders.
- Examine ethical considerations related to treating reluctant teens.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
David Flack, MA, LMHC, CDP
David Flack is a LMHC and CDP who has worked with teens and families impacted by substance use, trauma, and mental health challenges, since 2004. David has additional credentials as a Child Mental Health Specialist, Sexual Minority Mental Health Specialist, and Mental Health Professional. He is currently the Co-occuring Disorders Manager at Ryther in Seattle, WA where his focus is on program development, providing clinical supervision, and meeting with clients and families.
Mr. Flack has volunteered for Camp Ten Trees and Lambert House. In 2016 he published and article in Counseling Today titled: Getting Unstuck: Fostering Change with Teens that Have Co-occurring Disorders.
Upcoming Dates and Registration
Date: Friday, February 24th, 2017
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Cost: $155.00 USD
Campus: Shoreline Center , Shoreline, WA
Map: Directions to our campus location.