This material is copyrighted. Except for your own private use, you may not copy or reproduce it in any way without express permission from Cascadia Training.
On the Record: Progress Notes and Recordkeeping in Clinical Practice 1-day
Presented and developed by Frances Schopick, JD, MSW, LICSW
This interactive presentation will examine best practices for record keeping in clinical practice. This training will provide a comprehensive overview of the legal as well as ethical requirements of health care records
Participants will come away with an understanding of how records can be applied to clinical practice and risk management.
This training will not focus on HIPAA, though it will touch on HIPAA requirements regarding privacy and disclosure.
Goals and Objectives:
- Provide a comprehensive overview of the legal requirements of disclosure and informed consent, discussing purpose, function and utility. Attendees should come away with a clear understanding of what is required, such that they can review and edit their own disclosure statement and ensure it is in compliance.
- Provide a comprehensive overview of the legal and ethical limits to confidentiality. Attendees should come away with a clear understanding of when disclosure may or must be made without client authorization.
- Provide a comprehensive overview of the legal requirements and ethical relevance of health care records, as well as differing philosophies about what to record. Attendees should come away with a clear understanding of how they can best comply with the law and also protect themselves and their practice and still render the best care and service they can.
- Provide a comprehensive overview of the legal requirements and ethical concerns related to disclosure to third parties. Attendee should come away with a clear understanding of the legal and ethical issues involved in the release of information to third parties, and how to review their own forms for compliance.
- Provide a comprehensive overview of the legal and ethical issues of documentation of protected health information to third party payors. Attendees should come away with a clear understanding of how to comply with disclosure, as well as how to maintain client confidentiality to the fullest extent possible.
- Provide a comprehensive overview of development and use of treatment plans. Attendees should come away with a clear understanding of how to compose a treatment plan that is symptom-based and meets criteria for medical necessity.
6 Law and Ethics CEs
Continuing Education (CE) Information
6 Law and Ethics CEs
Cascadia Training is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.
Cascadia is also approved by the Washington State Office of Public Instruction as a "Washington State approved clock hour offering workshop."
Frances Schopick, JD, MSW, LICSW
Frances Schopick, JD, MSW, is an attorney with a background in Social Work and psychiatric research. She worked for nearly 20 years as a mental health diagnostician and clinician in agency, research and private practice. Living in Seattle, she is on the Adjunct Faculty of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in the Departments of Psychiatry and Preventive Medicine, and was formerly on the Faculty of Harvard Medical School in the Department of Psychiatry. Research publications, abstracts, and presentations reflect her work in Mood and Personality Disorders including Narcissism and Psychopathy.
Now an attorney, Fran works with mental health provider DOH Licensees of all disciplines who have received subpoenas, have to testify, or who have DOH complaints against them. She also provides consultation on ethical and practice clallenges that put counselors at risk for DOH Complaints. She completed her BA at Barnard College at Columbia University in New York City, a Master's Degree in Social Work (MSW) at the Hunter College School of Social Work in MYC and a Juris Doctor (JD) at the University of New Hampshire. She holds Washington State licensure as both an attorney and LICSW.
Upcoming Dates and Registration
No dates have been scheduled for this course. Please check back soon.
If you would like to be notified of an upcoming date for this course, please sign up on our mailing list.