This material is copyrighted. Except for your own private use, you may not copy or reproduce it in any way without express permission from Cascadia Training.
A Clinician's Guide to Death & Dying: What Every Provider Needs to Know
Presented and developed by Amelia Carroll, MS, LMHC, CT
According to the National Institute of Health, 5% of the most seriously ill Americans account for more than 50% of health care spending, with most costs incurred in the last year of life in hospital settings. In the next 25 years, longer life spans and the aging baby boomers are expected to double the number of Americans 65 years or older to about 72 million. Is how we want to die the most important and costly conversations America is not having? Unprepared planning results in high end-of-life costs.
Approach Death & Dying with Your Clients
- Improve your work with those who are dying by engaging in exercises facing one's own death
- Take away tools and skills useful to your clients as well as your own personal life
- Gain skills and increase one's awareness to help someone live through their suffering
- Help your clients prepare for themselves or their loved ones during the final stages of life
What you will learn
- Develop the necessary skills to effectively communicate with terminally ill and bereaved clients.
- Address the topic of death, thereby opening up previously avoided lines of communication with family and friends
- Explore the process of adjusting to a death so that your clients can better assist relatives or friends in times of need
- Confront the mortality and ultimate disposition of one's body and personalize funeral plans
- Assist clients in contemplating and accepting the reality of their, or their loved ones, death
- Walk clients through end-of-life planning to help prepare them and their families for the aftermath of a death
- Participants will have the tools to plan their funeral, burial, and estate in sufficient enough detail so as to place a minimal burden on their families-tools that can be passed on to their clients
- Explore the topic of death from a variety of perspectives leading towards a deeper self-awareness, an increased ability to be fully present with others who are dying, skillfulness in being helpful to those who are dealing with issues related to death and greater comfort with talking about death
- Be more motivated to live now, take risks, and accomplish life's goals with a personal statement that reflects life goals, personal values, and visions of immortality
Here are what Amelia's workshop participants are saying about her on their evaluation sheets:
"Wow! I came today expecting an informative seminar on death and dying but I got so much more! Thank you, Amelia, for the day. Great experiences, information and hard work-my mind is full and tired. I so appreciate your style! I appreciate your wealth of knowledge."
"Absolutely wonderful and deeply meaningful. The rituals and experiential exercises were penetrating. The notebook is so sensitively done: thank you."
"Thanks. So many tools and thoughts extracted from content of workshop. Helpful: to continue to assist patients/family populations at work and for my own life.'
"Outstanding presentation, beautifully prepared, extensive coverage of all aspects of Death and Dying."
"I enjoyed the calm, peaceful atmosphere Ms. Amelia Carroll established. The workshop was very meaningful, deep, introspective. I enjoyed every minute of it."
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Cascadia Training is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.
Cascadia is also approved by the Washington State Office of Public Instruction as a "Washington State approved clock hour offering workshop."
Amelia Carroll, MS, LMHC, CT
Amelia Carroll MS, LMHC, CT is a licensed mental health counselor with nearly 25 years' experience in the healing professions. Certified in Thanatology: the study of dying, death and bereavement, she has dedicated herself to helping others develop better ways of dealing with the issues of loss, grief, serious illness, and end-of-life care as a group, retreat and workshop facilitator, classroom instructor and religious educator. In addition to a private practice, Ms. Carroll's rich history of work experience includes hospitals, hospices, a cancer treatment center, funeral home and nursing homes where she has worked doing research on spirituality and healing, as a bereavement coordinator, mind-body therapist and chaplain. She earned a Master of Science Degree in Counseling from Seattle Pacific University, acquired studies and training in world religions, spirituality, healing and integrated medicine.
Along with her Certification in Thanatology, she most recently received Certification in Spiritual Direction from the Sacred Art of Living Center, Living and Dying Series and Anamcara Project. Singing with a Threshold Choir at the bedside of those who are ill and dying has added another dimension to her work and study in the field of death and dying. With a strong desire to enhance the quality of life for those suffering from the effects of life-threatening illness, in addition to her work, she was a committee member on the 1996 World Gathering on Bereavement, helped develop the first Children's Hospice in Russia through the St. Petersburg-Seattle Sisters Church Program and has had continuous involvement and a resource to others on the End-of-Life Consensus Coalition. Currently, Amelia serves as a Board Member on AHAT-Homecare (Affordable Housing and Treatment) in Tacoma. Amelia has been interviewed and featured on radio and in many newspaper and magazine articles and through her extensive travel she has been honored to address students and professionals on mental health issues both nationally and internationally.
For more information about Amelia and her work, visit her website at: www.sacredspiritpassages.net
Upcoming Dates and Registration
No dates have been scheduled for this course. Please check back soon.
If you would like to be notified of an upcoming date for this course, please sign up on our mailing list.